Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Back to school sentiments

I find myself a little emotional this evening. Today we welcomed back the teaching staff to the district and tomorrow Justin and I will go to back to school night to ‘meet’ Brady and Madison’s teacher. They will start school on Friday. Also today I went to the open house for the preschool center Blake is going to go to -we think (more on that another time). Anyway I have a million and one things I need to get done tonight and was very intent on getting all three children in bed early so I could get started. As I sat on the edge of Madison’s bed the business of the day began to leave me, and I remember how important our time together was. We had a great talk and then on to Brady’s room. He is just getting to be so big. He is mature in his conversations and understanding of so many life issues. I then went back into Blake’s room. He was content as could be, but I scooped him up and rocked him to sleep tonight. It was more for my satisfaction and comfort than for him. Which brings me to my little ‘soapbox’ I need to get on if you will…..

Teachers: Our family has been praying for you. We pray that you begin the year renewed and full of love for teaching and for children. I personally remember the excitement of a new group of students entering the room and pray that that excitement continues as the days wear on. Please know that you will now be spending more time with our children than we will get to. You are shaping their lives and have so much influence. We are trusting you with our most prized possessions and do so willingly and expecting that you will care for them the best you can. You are such a gift in our children’s lives hope that you will remember that on the most challenging of days. Please be patient with the parents that seem overbearing and unwilling to turn their children over to you completely.

Parents: We need to be supportive and understanding of our children’s teachers. I often see or hear complaints about various teachers (more on blogs and such not so much from our district specifically). There are very very few teachers that ever mean any ill will toward a child. They may do things a bit differently than we would like. They may not fully understand our children’s idiosyncrasies and meet all of their needs everyday, but I can guarantee you that they are giving the best they can for that particular day. For those parents that do get a teacher in the small percentile that really are negatively impacting your child, know that you are your child’s best advocate. You owe it to him/her to help the teacher see the negative effect their behavior is having on your child. But please be patient with the teachers and know that they have 20+ little ones they are trying to teach and care for – a monumental task to say the least!

Ohhh I could go on and on, but the bottom line is that we need to support one another and always do what is best for children. We hope and pray that this school year is blessed with positive relationships and a rich learning experiences around every corner.

2 comments:

Holly Whitaker said...

God Bless You, Heather, for so eloquently conveying the sentiments of so many. You and I (along with many, many others) have been on both sides of the desk. There are no two jobs more important than those of parent and teacher. Not only do those teachers have 20+ children in their classrooms to care for, but they may very well go home to their own children who have their own set of wants and needs. Thanks for taking the time to remind us that this is truly a team effort and we need one another....and now I will step down from my soapbox as well.

Anonymous said...

I would like to keep up with the family by being able to read the blog- jhirschl@midwest.net