Thursday, June 11, 2009

Is he speaking another language?

So things are still well on our end, but I thought I would share some thoughts with you. I know that some of you are about to bring your little one home soon and wonder what sorts of things you may experience. This week I have had a great opportunity to observe Blake in a group setting – Vacation Bible School (VBS). First I must say that he is very well behaved and joins in by copying whatever everyone else is doing. For the most part no one would even know that he has only been in the U.S. for a month. Then in true Blake style, he strikes up a conversation with someone as if they understand every single word he is saying. The person then gets a confused look on their face and leans in closer to listen. “Ummm, sure” they say. “Whatever you say honey” and they turn their attention elsewhere. One of the teenage helpers said, “It is like he is speaking a different language.” I find that I am torn between going to defend him and explaining that he is in fact speaking another language and we are so proud of his progress OR just letting the moment pass and be proud that he is not phased by people’s confusion and is still willing to try to repeat every word he can. It is easier in a setting like a grocery store clerk or a waitress at a restaurant. We just let him talk and don’t go into our personal story when they look at us a little helpless. Other times it is hard to decide on whether or not it is ‘worth’ the effort to explain. I know that we will get more comfortable and determine a balance that is right for our family and especially for Blake, but for now we are still trying to learn what that balance is.

One very well meaning person was trying so hard to carry on a conversation with Blake. After a couple of minutes, I stepped in and said I bet you wish you had a clue what he was saying. He shared that when his son was younger he had a speech impediment and so he had learned to compensate for incomplete conversations. Again I found myself thinking, do I let him continue to figure out the conversation or do I say well actually he is speaking in Russian and your efforts are probably useless unless you understand Russian spoken by a 3 year old. – Ok so I wouldn’t put it like that and am being a bit sarcastic, but you get the point! We are proud of Blake. We are proud of where he has been and what he has overcome. But like any family in any situation with any special circumstance, you have to determine if/when to share ‘your’ story.

More VBS observations to come….

By the way, Blake has switched completely from saying nyet to using ‘no’ exclusively. He is switching between PaPa and Daddy/Dad. His ABC song is getting a bit clearer and he is counting to 10 (he always forgets 7 and his pronunciation is a bit off – like pive for five). He comprehends so much and is very intuitive. Kids are such sponges at this age!

5 comments:

Clarese said...

Oh! I do hope you will be posting another video of Blake as he improves his ABC song singing. He is just the cutest little guy!

Thank you for the insight. It is so wonderful to be able to read about other people's experiences and to have some idea of what to expect!

Nancy said...

Hi Heather! I can relate to what you're saying, because Nathan was 3 when we brought him home. I found myself sharing his story probably too often in his defense. Blake sounds like he's doing great!

Amy said...

Blake's doing AWESOME!! After only a month -- what a sponge he is!! T says "pive" too... I don't think they have many "fs" in the Russian language!

Kim said...

Wow, it is awesome to see how much Blake is learning only after a short time! Go Blake GO! You will be presented with these silly comments/questions forever. :) I find educated people is the best for me but there are times when I just roll my eyes and give a 'tude. LOL!

JOJO and MR.T said...

I think Blake is doing very godd with the adjustment and learning. Keep up the good work you are doing and I'm sure he will follow your lead. Thanks to all of you for having Mr. T and I ofer for the weekend. Love to all,
JOJO and MR.T