Sunday, September 20, 2009

Week Recap

The past week was very busy for us. Being gone for the weekend seemed to put us behind for the week, but we really enjoyed going to Chicago to see our dear friends. The Mystery Machine made the round trip just fine. I must say I was thankful that we didn’t drive my Acadia. The pizza, cake, ice cream, bounce house, heat, etc… from the Peraino’s party didn’t settle well with Madison, and she got sick all over the Mystery Machine. Bridget and Jordan were fantastic hosts. We ended up doing 2 loads of laundry before coming home!

Monday was exciting for us. After school, Blake was playing with Brady’s handheld video game. He came over to me pointing to it and said, “Like Blake.” I asked him, “What do you mean like Blake.” He moved his finger and I could see that he was pointing to the B button. So I took him over to the refrigerator where we have alphabet magnets and said, “Show me what you mean like Blake”. He found the letter B. I was impressed and excited so I went for the closest paper on the counter and had him find another and he did. We have worked so much on his verbal language it is great to see how much growth he is showing in other areas now that he is in school.

Another Monday story… I have started a 5:40 a.m. work out class at the YMCA. I am not a fan of early mornings, but I have been struggling with 10 extra pounds I managed to put on while being in Russia and need to do something about it. With all of the kids in activities after school and being ridiculously busy I have to get my workout in first thing. So about ¾ of the way through the class I see something flopping behind me in the mirror. I couldn’t remember those pants having a pocket like that the week before when I wore them. Then it dawned on me that my pants were on wrong side out. The seams were showing in all their glory and the tags and pockets were flapping freely. A true sign that 5:00 a.m. is too early for me!

Thursday was our visit with the social worker for our 6 month post placement report. We have officially been a family of 5 for 5 months. Blake has been in the US for a little over 4 months. The report has to be in Russia at the 6 month mark. People have asked me what happens if we don’t do the report – if there are any ties or ‘power’ the Russian government has over us. Nothing would happen to us specifically if we did not do these reports (6 month, 1 year, 2 year, and 3 year). Our home study and adopting agency would probably drive us nuts with reminders and calls and such but there is nothing specifically the Russian government can do to us. However, those of you that have been with us through our journey will remember the scare of the black list. That is when the Russian government published a list of agencies they were not going to accept paperwork from since they had not followed up with post adoption reports. This is horrible for people going through the adoption process. I won’t lie to you. I already dislike any post adoption paper work and the visits. I really enjoy seeing Carole, our social worker, and taking time to catch up with her. I don’t feel that we are being judged or put under a microscope or anything, but I already feel that our life has moved on. We will comply with the requirements though. We feel strongly that the governments put enough obstacles in the way for these precious children coming home to waiting families, and we won’t play into their hands by not complying. Plus we are proud to report how much Blake is flourishing and welcome the opportunity to share our photos so they can see the smile in his eyes and how much love we all share.

Friday and Saturday night Madison participated in dance clinics with our high school team and the WIU Leathernecks. She performed at halftime of both games. She loves to perform and we love to watch her. Brady is taking a stroke (swimming) clinic. He is pretty sure he wants to be on the swim team this year. Next weekend we are having Blake’s birthday party. We are excited!

I hope this week to find time to blog a couple more times. I want to share some photos that our friend Mary Efflandt took of us, and I want to share with you something that has really been bothering me since the month of September began. But for now I need to go get things done. Before I go, I want to congratulate the Duda family. They have had a long wait getting word of their court date in Vladivostock. They found out last week that they will be leaving on October 3rd (Brady’s Birthday) and will have court on October 9th (Madison’s birthday). Also the Curran's will be heading to Vlad on October 3rd! We hope their journey goes smoothly and those days are as much of a blessing to them as they are to our family!

Here is Blake at Nicholas' birthday party.


Here are Brady and Paul Peraino racing through the bouncey thing. Look at that grin on his face!


And here is Madison at the MHS Bomber and WIU Leatherneck football games.

5 comments:

Clarese said...

I laughed out loud about your gym story. That is so something that would happen to me! It sounds like you have been really running around! I hope you can find some downtime soon.

Jennifer said...

Love the gym story! My post adoption visit is tomorrow...I am fine with it and share many of your same views...need to do it for others but have really already just moved on and am living life =) Love all the pics!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Wow how cool that the 9th is also Madison's birthday. We hope Blake has a great birthday party next week and then Brady and Madison the week after...We will think about you guys when we are at the VMI Celebrating!

heather said...

Oh no..I didn't know Madison got sick, poor thing. You sure our a busy lady. Quite impressive how you keep everything in line. You guys take care and we would love to come down for a weekend sometime soon.