Friday, September 25, 2009

Stirring Feelings

I am taking a break from preparing for Blake’s birthday party to get out something that has been on my heart all of September. On the 30th Blake will turn four years old. The age of four is when children are moved from the baby home to orphanages. The orphanages then are where they stay until they are forced to leave at the age of 14-16. I know that there are horror stories out there about orphanages, and I know that there are stories of well ran orphanages, but I have just been thinking about the what if’s….. I cannot even fathom the idea of our little Blake going to live with teenagers. The children lose their innocence so fast and experience things that no four year old should ever experience. My stomach just hurts thinking about it. What if we hadn’t listened to our hearts? What if we listened to the people who suggested international adoption wasn’t for us? What if God wouldn’t have kept redirecting us every single time we tried to turn away? I am so very thankful that Blake did not have to make that transition from the baby home to an orphanage. Instead he transitioned from the baby home into the hearts of Justin and I and all of our family. For this I am grateful. I have been haunted for days with pictures of some of the other children. There is the little girl that I wrote about while we were in Russia. When she looked into my eyes it was as if she we trying to tell me her entire life story with the sorrow in those eyes. There was a little red head girl who came up to Justin and I both just wanting attention. There was the little girl whose hair was recently shaved and the little boy whose little tights kept falling down because the elastic was worn out. I could go on and on. Of course we knew we would be changed forever once we went down this path, but sometimes the burden one feels can be unbearable. I will continue to pray for those children. I pray that they too will find the love that all children deserve to experience.

Here is a picture of Blake saying goodbye to his little group mate (the one I was really drawn to).

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

I remember her and you sharing with me at that time how you felt about her eyes and her story....so sweet that Blake is kissing her on the cheek =) She understood he was leaving...she was waiting at the door when I returned Tori to the room. She saw Tori and grabbed on to her, almost knocking her down...when I saw this, the first thing I thought was that she knew Blake would not be back....the bond the kids have/had with each other I am sure is great...they relied on each other for nuturing...sad to think about...Tori is very compassionate though, as I am sure Blake is too! It is so obvious in the affection he showed Tori and in this picture with this little girl. I wish I knew names. I have pictures of the kids and show Tori from time to time...some she says a name for and some she asks me to tell her the name of the child she is pointing at...I don't know....sorry tmi...brought back a flood of thoughts from me....I just totally remember you commenting about it and how you felt she had a story to share with you.......

Happy Birthday Blake!!!! Glad you are home! You're home Blake!

LLcaseworker said...

This brought tears to my eyes -- so beautifully written and from the heart. God has put a touch on our hearts with international adoption - no matter what country -- that there are children who needs homes, and love, and innocence. Blessings, Carole

Clarese said...

What a touching post. I am sure it is so hard, thinking about those who have been left behind. Thank goodness you found your way to Blake, and he found his way to you.

Rich and Jolynn said...

Wow, thank you for this post. I am having many of the same feelings. Sometimes I am so sad thinking about how important it is for us to get back there, so much to do. Praying for all the lil ones too.

Happy Birthday Blake!