Thursday, July 30, 2009

First Argument

So I am celebrating Blake’s first argument with me. At least that is what I think it was. Here is how it went down….

Blake: points to a piece of candy on the counter and says “me?”
Me: “No, you don’t need that piece of candy right now.”
Blake: “Da” – which is yes in Russian
Me: “No”
Blake: “Just one”
Me: “No”
Blake: “Why”
Me: “Oh my goodness Blake, I think we are having our first argument!” I scooped him up and hugged him!

Of course some people may think this is weird. Even Justin sort of raised his eyebrows at me while I was boasting about the ‘argument’, but I love to see this progress in Blake’s language skills… even if it is arguing with me over a piece of candy!

I know he understands so much more than he verbalizes so it is fun for us to hear when he surprises us with words he has caught on to. Like tonight when he got to his room he walked over to his dresser and said “Me, jammies” and opened it up and picked some out to put on.

I am a firm believer in celebrating small goals (benchmarks) on the way to bigger goals, and today we are celebrating the first argument and jammies!!!

4 comments:

Jane Nissen said...

Heather, I enjoy reading about the progress Blake is making. Natalie was half his age when they adopted her so we celebrated every first word. You will be amazed at what he picks up when he starts school this fall. I think an argument over candy and "me jammies" are perfectly acceptable reasons to celebrate.

Gloria said...

That is really cool! Blake is coming along so nicely. I bet even with the "argument" he had a smile on his face.

Clarese said...

That is funny. It is wonderful that he is getting better and better at expressing himself verbally!

Amy said...

Isn't it so cool to watch them blossom? He's got some good negotiation skills there mom. Just one? Why?

Man are you going to have your hands full because how can you say no to that sweet face???