Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Random Update – Part 2

First random thought…sump pumps are VERY important pieces of equipment! Last night I went to our basement to get something from the freezer and discovered that water was seeping in on a number of walls. Several of the cardboard boxes I had intended on emptying while being home from work were getting soaked. Justin and I spent hours getting things off the floor and the water swept to the drains. Thankfully he had another sump pump on hand and he was able to get the water pumping quickly. He guessed the old one died just a few hours before and if I hadn’t had been downstairs last night things would not have been even worse this morning. Needless to say I am going to get more plastic containers to put my albums and photo boxes and things in. Lesson learned!

Another thing I was going to share with you was about the musical “Annie”. It has long been a favorite of mine – I mean the lead character does have red hair after all! In the past year I have seen/heard the songs from the musical and my reaction has caught me by surprise. The song “It’s the Hard-Knock Life” puts a giant lump in my throat and tears in my eyes. Here are a few lyrics that get me…

No one's there when your dreams at night get creepy!
No one cares if you grow...of if you shrink!
No one dries when your eyes get wet an' weepy!

From all the cryin' you would think this place's a sink!
Ohhhh!!!!!!!
Empty belly life!
Rotten smelly life!
Full of sorrow life!
No tomorrow life!

[And the one that really gets me going…]
No one cares for you a smidge
When you're in an orphanage!

Wow – this song had a whole new meaning to me! I guess my eyes have been opened to a world beyond ours of comfort and luxury. There is more I could say on this topic, but I would rather keep things up beat for now.

On a happier note, here are some more pictures of our summer excitement!

Blake in is his Russian shopka and Brady’s vest.


1st attempt at bowling.


Copying big brother Brady!


Blake with his buddy Blaine.


Brady and Madison participated in several contests at our local fair. Obviously this was a pie eating contest. Very gross!


4 comments:

Joel and Clarion said...

We just saw Annie at the Muny this past week. Let me tell you I had the same reaction hearing all the sweet children sing that song. I remember singing it when I was in Annie when I was six. However, being an adult and having children who have lived that life sure puts things into perspective. Not just a cute musical number to me anymore!

Clarese said...

Those lyrics really are sad... On the other hand, I always smile when I look at your pictures. Your children are all fabulous :)

Amy said...

I love Annie as well - and it's always had a special place in my heart (long story) from my childhood. Now it means even more to me!!

Blake is just the cutest thing ever. I just want to eat him up he's so cute!!! You have 3 GORGEOUS kids!!

Blessed Mom of Four AND More said...

I just read through some past posts of your life with Blake. What a blessing! It brought back memories of our Ellie learning English. She was 2 1/2 when we adopted her from China.

Enjoy every minute!
Robbie