Thursday, April 2, 2009

April Fool’s Day recap

Before sharing any details we wanted to let everyone know that we will be taking the donation button off the blog on Tuesday, April 7th. Please remember that is NOT a donation to Justin and me. This is a donation to the children in the baby home. Please click here to read the post that explains more about why we are doing this. Thank you to those who have donated thus far.

So now for how yesterday unfolded… After my regular weekly admin meeting, I was working away in my office and occasionally (ok – like every 2 minutes) refreshing my email inbox and glancing at my cell phone. Justin and I both had a hunch that Wednesday was going to be the day. As the hours passed, I was getting disappointed that we weren’t hearing anything. And then a special little surprise came into my inbox! Amy, my dear blogger friend who took Blake’s album to him, is now home and had sent us 2 short and ohhhh so special videos of Blake from her visit. I had gotten them downloaded and watched them about 4 times each. They totally lifted my spirits, and I figured that that is what would get me through the day with no news about court. So I just shifted my attention back to work when 5 minutes later my cell phone rings. I see Children’s Hope International on the caller ID and my heart starts to pound!!!!

Pam from CHI tells me that we have an April 16th court date and that we need to be in Vlad on the 14th. Unfortunately the return information wasn’t available just yet because May 1 is a Russian holiday and so more details were being worked out. We should know more today so we can get our flights booked.

A little side note to answer a question I got a couple of times yesterday. After court and the necessary paperwork processing we will be bringing Blake home with us. This is our last trip to Russia until many years down the road if he would like to visit.

Ok so back to the recap… As you can imagine I am in a state of shock. Excitement, fear, etc…start taking over. I quickly call Justin’s cell and it rings and rings. No answer. I dial again immediately. He will surely know it is important since I am calling right back!! No answer. I let a minute or two pass and call my dad to see if Justin was with him. He wasn’t. And guess what he was doing?!?!? Looking for his lost cell phone!!! Are you kidding me?!?! So I remain calm and just tell my dad to have him call me when he sees him. I then try Justin’s dad’s cell to see if he was with him. Nope! He was actually standing next to my dad! Another phone call to get a cell phone number of a friend of his. No answer. At this point I can’t hold it any longer. It was time to celebrate! I shared the great news with the ladies in our office and began to let it all sink in. About 50 minutes later he calls and starts the conversation by saying “Don’t yell at me, just tell me the date!” It was definitely not a day for yelling.

Ok this post is getting way to long. I just want to remember the details of this day for years to come. We have applied for our visas and have that underway. I just hate sending our passports in the mail!

More info to come when the travel plans are made. Thank you all for your support. It means the world to us!

7 comments:

Mary E. said...

How exciting!! I can't even express how happy I am for you! =)

debbiemetzger said...

Wonderful News!!!, God is truly Good, I have been hoping and praying you would be back before planting time. Sounds like Justin will be back just in time. God is never late and never early, always just in time.

God Bless,

cheryl (aunt booger) said...

i hope you know i am crying tears of joy as i read this. i am so happy for you guys. now i can say, one day closer and know that there aren't many more days before you see blake.

Troy and Rachel said...

Congrats on the court date!!

Tony and Dawn said...

Congratulations!! Some words of advice (we adopted from Vlad last May): (a) Shop for your airline tickets by calling at least two travel agencies, (b) Order your travel visas now,(c) It is still cool in Vladivostok so pack some long sleeve shirts and a light jacket. You can layer if necessary, (d) Prepare for the unexpected. Talk to your doctor about small prescriptions for food poisoning or any other ailments - particularly if you might need pain pills. Take it from someone who learned the hard way - Russian pharmaceuticals are not as effective as ours.

Best wishes -

Holly Whitaker said...

Right now I am picturing you at the admin center telling everyone your fantastic news.....what a moment that must have been. I bet you can already feel Blake's little arms wrapped around your neck! Savor these next few days and the excitement and anticipation.

Safe travels and much love to all of you!

Holly

True Story said...

yaaaay!!! we'll see you there!
Sandy