Wednesday, March 18, 2009

We don’t know

Ok, we are still relishing in the joy that Amy’s pictures brought AND we are excited that we can send word to Blake via Nancy and her family. Can you sense a ‘but’ coming? Here it is. BUT we are discouraged with a bit of news this week - nothing specific to us, but still a reality check of sorts. Our Vlad informant ;o) has told us that there are 3 Children’s Hope International (CHI) families in Vlad for court right now. They all travelled at the end of September. We traveled in December. I’ll let you draw your own conclusions about what that could mean for us.

People are always asking us these questions. Why haven’t you gone back to Russia? What is taking so long? Or why is it that some people return so much faster than others? We are honest and just say we don’t know. We seriously do not know what we are waiting on. I sometimes feel that when we share that we don’t know what it is we are waiting on that some people look at us like we are crazy or that perhaps the whole situation is a farce. Maybe I am being overly sensitive, but really I do get that feeling. PAUSE – Justin just verified for me that I am not being overly sensitive. He feels the same way. He elaborated by stating that he gets the feeling that people are thinking that we aren’t trying to get back over there. Or they are thinking “what is your problem, why don’t you just call them up and tell them you are ready.” Ohh if it were only that easy. (BTW – I am thinking it may be Justin’s turn for a blog entry!)

I don’t want to sound like a whiner. We are doing ok really. We truly believe that God’s timing will be impeccable for us. Honestly - we believe that. It is just a weakness I have of trying to figure out before hand what God’s timing is going to be. I am still working on relinquishing control. I am sure He will get it through my thick skull before this journey enters a new stage!

8 comments:

Troy and Rachel said...

Hang in there. I know the wait seems to go on and on, but the time will come. We'll be praying CHI can get the families back over there quickly.

Laura said...

omg...I would have thought I wrote that post had I not seen "Posted by Heather" at the bottom!

From the get-go, we knew it would be a long wait. We told everyone that. After Trip #1, we learned that the Russians do things and think completely different than here and we simply had to "accept" this. It's especially hard when people say "I just don't understand - what's the hold-up?"

I'm sure like you, as soon as you had to do the p/w or an update, it was DONE. I have never been so efficient with anything in my life. Yet -- we wait.

I pray for you that the path ahead is not a very long one -- but it is comforting to know that our children are waiting for us at the path's end.

Take care, laugh when times get real tough -- and, as you know, your reward will be GREAT!

~Laura :)

Amy said...

I have had many of the same thoughts you have... and it's weird here... there are some people that were here in Dec and then me from Oct and then the late Sept crew....

How does that happen?

Anonymous said...

I think it depends on the agency. We met our Daughter in the middle of January 2008 and were back in Russia exactly a year ago for our gotcha day on March 20th. The same was true of the other couple traveling with us from our agency and 2 couples with EAC. I think it all depends on the "clout" that the agency has in Vladivostok. It seems to me that the CHI families all wait a lot longer than the families from our agency and EAC.

Nancy said...

The wait (and the questions) are frustrating for sure. My boss would say to me, every Monday, "I need to know the dates you are going to be gone from work." My response was always the same--"I don't know." Yet he'd keep asking me over and over and over again! UGH!
You all are in my thoughts and prayers during this wait.

Carolynn and Steve said...

I totally understand your frustration with other people and their questions. Most of them just "don't get it". I went to Russia last summer on a mission trip, and I don't know how many people asked me, seriously, "why can't you just pick up your child while you're there?" Like I wouldn't want to do that if it was possible?

I honestly think most people who haven't been through this have no clue why this takes so long and how we are all at the mercy of the Russian government agencies who just do things when they do them. This, for me, is the most draining part of all of this--having people who just don't understand the emotional turmoil that all this creates, and then trying to explain the very real way that God carries all of us through this crazy process. I agree--the giving up of control is the hardest part. I'll be praying for you in this.

You don't sound like a whiner at all--thank you for sharing what I know I have felt many times in this process!

Anonymous said...

Hang in there. I think the look you are seeing on people's faces when they hear about the strange timing situation isn't accusation or thinking you aren't trying hard enough, it is helplessness, injustice and a wish we could help. It seems insensitive to respond with hope, like "it can't take that much longer," but at the same time, it's also hard to not sound negative. We all wish there was a solution, something we could say to make it better, some tip we could find to make it go faster, but there's just not. So, hang in there. We are pulling for and praying for you guys!

Kim said...

It is so hard to wait on God's timing and give up the control to Him, I know. It is equally as hard to process some peoples response. I get that it is hard for people to understand and the adoption process is confusing but a little sensitivity wouldn't hurt! Praying for you guys!
Kim