Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Telling Grandparents

To continue with our story, Justin and I decided it was time to tell a few people of our decision to adopt. On Mother’s Day, May 11, we told my parents and the following day Justin told his parents. Their reaction was not quite what we had expected. I guess since we were so excited we just thought they would be too. Well they were taken back a little by the announcement. My parents are always supportive of our decisions and just trust that Justin and I will do what we think is best for our family. They hadn’t quite expected international adoption to be in our plans, but they knew that we would probably expand our family in the near future. Justin’s parents are also supportive. They had lots of questions for him. I guess we should have expected that. After all we also had tons of questions, and we had a couple of months to wrestle with our thoughts. We were expecting them to be completely accepting of the idea in less than five minutes. This probably wasn’t to fair of us. I have no doubt that while our parents worry about our decisions, they will love their new grandson/granddaughter in their own unique way.

No comments: